Photo 208 of 1862
Just outside the Launch Control Center (LCC), looking towards the blast lock (lit by orange gel’d flash) and 200-foot cable way to the missile silo.
The blast lock originally had four steel blast doors to protect personnel from an explosion in the launch silo or on the surface. Interlocks for each pair of blast doors prevented opening a second door before closing the first. This provided blast-protected entry from the access portal to the hardened facility, and to and from the control center and launch silo.
- Apr 2009
- Taken with a Nikon D300