Photo 109 of 1908
A decaying sign at Romberg Tiburon Center, probably left over from the Navy’s days occupying the site as a fuel depot.
The campus, which is currently a research facility focusing on marine and estuarine environments, played a significant role in the history of the San Francisco Bay Area. In 1904, the U.S. Navy established a huge coaling station, replacing the old fish cannery. A few years later, Theodore Roosevelt’s Great White Fleet was refueled here on its famous, round-the-world cruise. In the 1930s, cables for the Golden Gate Bridge were spun onsite using cranes left behind by the Navy. During WW II, the Navy reoccupied the site and manufactured huge nets to stop enemy torpedoes and submarines from entering San Francisco Bay.
- Jul 2009
- Taken with a Nikon D700